A short 10-minute mindfulness exercise today:
- Begin with three deep breaths in and out.
- Prepare a mug or cup of your favorite beverage. Tea is a great choice, of course!
- Hold the cup in your hand. Feel its weight. Notice how your hands and fingers surround the cup.
- Take a breath in and while still holding your cup, meditate on this scripture from John 4:14, “…but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life”
- Next, drink the liquid and attend to the sensation of it going down your throat, filling your belly. Continue to breathe to help you stay mindful as you stay focused on this sensation.
- Direct your mind back to the scripture while noticing your breath.
- Contemplate and allow the scripture to sink in just as the liquid you have drunk is being absorbed by your body.